Sunday, February 7, 2010

Disney Cross Country Champs Cake

This cake stands for SO much more than just a First and Second Place Championship win for the Girls and Boys Herculaneum Cross Country teams!
When my 18 year old daughter, Sarah, asked me to make a Topsy Turvy Cake for the Cross Country Banquet I couldn't tell her no even though I had never made one before. (Any of you who have ever made a topsy turvy cake know how much time is involved--especially your first!)
She asked if I could do a Disney theme and without hesitation, I said "Sure!" (not really knowing what I was getting myself into! LOL)
On a Thursday, the day before the banquet, Sarah and her boyfriend, Collin, who is also a XC Runner (our #2 Varsity Runner, I might add) were snowed in with me while I was working on this cake. They were in the dining room and kitchen almost the entire time, encouraging me, complementing me, and sometimes helping me!
The number tag is a replica of the one Sarah wore the day she ran at Disney World where the heat index was well over 105 degrees. There is a blackcat around the corner ( I will get another photo uploaded at a later date), the team's mascot.
Needless to say, the banquet was cancelled on Friday night due to the bad weather. So I toted this cake to their coaches house and he made sure to invite them all over for a piece. (it weighed 15 lbs!)
That day in the kitchen with my kids will be etched in my memory forever!
Get your kids in the kitchen with you and don't worry about the mess - It will always cleans up later! The memories you make and the conversations you will have are PRICELESS!!!